This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate disclaimer policy.
This homemade authentic limoncello recipe is so good! I like making it every year for the holidays to give out to my family and friends.
If you aren’t familiar with authentic limoncello, it is an alcoholic Italian drink used as a digestive. It’s delicious lemon zesty flavor yet 80 proof alcohol content makes it a great drink for entertaining or as an after-dinner shot.
If you buy limoncello from the store, it can be really expensive. I love authentic Italian food and beverages so I decided to make my own. I have only used this recipe because I absolutely love it! It is a fun activity and you know exactly what’s going into it…no additives, no preservatives, only fresh, natural and most importantly organic ingredients.
I follow this recipe exactly and always use the recommended Everclear grain alcohol. It comes out fantastic!
Here is the recipe for homemade authentic limoncello:
What you need: (per approx. 2 liters of limoncello)
- 10 Fresh Organic Lemons
- 1 liter of grain alcohol (I use Everclear)
- 3 and 3/4 cups Organic Cane Sugar
- 1 liter of water
- Ball Half-Gallon Jar(s)
- Cheese Cloth
- Peel the lemon rind from every lemon, trying not to peel away the white part.
- Add the lemon rind pieces to a half gallon mason jar.
- Add the grain alcohol and secure the lid tightly.
- Let it sit for about 10-14 days, swirling the contents once daily.
- After the 10-14 days, strain the grain alcohol to separate the lemon rind.
- Boil the water, sugar and lemon rind.
- Once dissolved, allow the simple syrup to cool.
- Strain and discard the lemon rind.
- Combine the simple syrup and the grain alcohol.
- Strain the contents through several layers cheese cloths to remove any debris.
- Add the limoncello to mason jars and store in the fridge.
Note: This drink is best served chilled. Cheers!
Also try making:
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.