This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate disclaimer policy.
Who loves ice cream? I do! I swear it is in my shopping cart every grocery trip. Ice cream was always my go to treat during my pregnancies but that can easily become an unhealthy habit or start to add up in price. My husband bought me an ice cream maker one year for Mother’s Day and it has been so fun to make all kinds of ice cream at home. Here is my recipe for homemade cookies n cream ice cream using Oreos.
While I know Oreos aren’t all that healthy or “natural”, given the circumstances of the pandemic, this is all I could find at my local grocery store at the time. I know Trader Joe’s and other health food grocers have healthier versions of Oreos that are just as tasty.
Traditional vanilla and chocolate ice cream flavors are always a hit at our house, but I have been wanting to explore other flavors too. When Oreos came to mind, I knew my kids would love some cookies n cream ice cream!
With a basic vanilla ice cream base, any flavor is possible. This recipe uses an ice cream maker but I am sure there are ways to do it without one. Luckily, this ice cream maker comes with a booklet with tons of recipes including homemade custard, so you are never without ice cream recipes to try.
I made this recipe using mostly organic ingredients and I am sure you can substitute ingredients to fit your dietary needs.
Homemade Cookies n Cream Ice Cream
- 1 cup organic whole milk
- 3/4 cup organic sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups organic heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract – or add more if you love that vanilla flavor
- Oreos or other chocolate sandwich cookie brand – which will be added later
- In a bowl whisk together the milk, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the heavy cream and vanilla and continue to whisk until combined.
- Add to a quart sized mason jar and refrigerate for 1-2 hours or overnight. If you are wanting the ice cream in quicker time, the 1-2 hours will do, but I usually let it refrigerate overnight.
- When you are ready to prepare your ice cream, turn on the ice cream maker and pour in the ice cream mix. Let it mix for about 15-20 minutes.
- After 10 minutes or so or whenever you see it start to thicken, add some crushed Oreo cookies. I used a meat tenderizer to crush them into quarter-sized pieces along with some powdered cookie crumbs. Reserve some of the pieces to add to the top of the ice cream.
- After the ice cream is done mixing, add to a freezer safe glass container with lid and place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes, but ideally 2 hours.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.