This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate disclaimer policy.
We have been growing organic blueberries in our yard for a few years now and each year we produce more and more blueberries. Lately, I can pick a whole cup of blueberries per day and my toddler devours them. I had the idea of making some homemade blueberry muffins with the blueberries we saved this week. The problem is, having three kids means a lot of opinions (and meltdowns). They couldn’t agree on chocolate chip or blueberry so I decided I should make some blueberry chocolate chip muffins.
I wasn’t sure whether this sounded like a strange combination or totally amazing! With that in mind, I started looking for recipes and I found that blueberry chocolate chip muffins are a real thing. I found what I liked to come up with this recipe using no sugar and keeping them on the healthier side – also with plenty of blueberries and chocolate chips.
What’s even more amazing is that these muffins do not crumble! My kids always make a heck of a mess with most muffins. The texture of these muffins are different than most and more on the spongey side but we love them! The mess is kept to a minimum with just some chocolatey hands and faces instead of crumbs and melted chocolate all over the floor.
What I love about this recipe is that it can be made healthier and you can use substitutions as needed. Next time I plan to use coconut oil instead of butter and a non-dairy beverage instead of the milk. You can even try some gluten-free flour!
While most blueberry chocolate chip muffins call for about a cup of sugar, I used honey instead and only needed 1/4 cup. The blueberries and chocolate chips already give them the sweetness they need.
Most of the time I use frozen blueberries for muffins because they seem to hold up better but I found that using fresh blueberries coated with a little bit of flour worked perfectly.
Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- makes about 18 muffins
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (or substitute for coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or non-dairy substitute
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup chocolate chips (I used dark chocolate chips)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (I used fresh from my garden)
- 2 teaspoons of flour (to coat the blueberries)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease a muffin tin or use liners.
- Mix the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and mix until combined. I used my stand mixer for this.
- Add the chocolate chips.
- Toss the blueberries in the 2 teaspoons of flour then add those.
- Add the batter to the muffin tins. They can be mostly full.
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes then reduce temp to 350 and bake for another 15 minutes. I did not take the muffins out during this time.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.