This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate disclaimer policy.
This 10 minute homemade butter recipe is so fun! I remember doing this project in elementary school when we visited a farm and learned all about butter making. I had this vision in my head about the whole process and how all we did was shake up some cream in a jar. My husband nearly thought I was crazy!
Lo and behold, I looked up some homemade butter recipes online which totally gave me some deja vu. I really wanted to try this out as a fun activity with kids.
This recipe is super easy and takes about 10 minutes from start to finish. It really is quite the arm workout shaking cream in a jar, but it really does turn into butter!
10 Minute Homemade Butter in a Jar:
- Fill the mason jar half way with heavy whipping cream
- Secure the lid and shake the cream for 10 minutes
- After a few minutes you might think that nothing is happening, but I promise you there is! Please just keep shaking!
- After about 5-6 minutes, you will notice you don’t hear much liquid shaking around and when you open it the mixture will resemble a whipped cream or ice cream consistency. This is a sign it is not done, so keep shaking!
- At around the 10-12 minute mark, you will start to hear liquid again. This means the butter and buttermilk are separating and this is a good sign!
- Look inside to see what is happening. If needed, keep shaking until a firm ball of butter forms. You can discard to keep the buttermilk liquid for future use.
- Add salt if you wanted salted butter then it is ready to eat or save for later!
- I added a pinch of sea salt to my butter and spread it on some hawaiian rolls. Yum!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.