This post may contain affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate disclaimer policy.
I actually discovered avocado ice cream at Walmart and it has been my favorite ice cream ever! Since it’s a little pricey (compared to other ice cream and non-diary ice cream), I decided I should try making my own. Plus in the summer heat, my kids want a cold sweet treat all the time, so it might as well be healthy ice cream, right? This vegan chocolate avocado ice cream is amazing!! This is going to be my new go-to recipe that I will make weekly.
There is very little guilt for eating this ice cream, as it is as healthy as ice cream can get. What’s even better is that it is vegan too! Substitute ingredients if you need to, but this may make it not vegan but still pretty healthy.
If you don’t have an ice cream maker, no problem. I will tell you the steps for making it without one below.
One thing I noticed is that it tastes the best right out of the ice cream maker. Once you stick in it the freezer to harden, it needs to be thawed for an hour to scoop it out in nice smooth scoops. It gets rock solid when it’s frozen, but is the perfect texture when thawed a bit.
Vegan Chocolate Avocado Ice Cream
- 1 can coconut milk (full fat – about 13.5 ounces)
- 1 medium avocado – peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup maple syrup (I used 1/4 cup to make it less sweet, since I think ice cream is always too sweet. Use 1/2 cup if you like yours really sweet.)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- Vegan chocolate chips – optional
- Vegan sprinkles – optional
- Add the coconut milk and avocado to the food processor and mix.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix (except toppings).
- If you are using an ice cream maker, add contents to ice cream maker and mix for 15 minutes. It is now ready to enjoy or freeze for an hour or two to harden.
- If you are not using an ice cream maker, add contents to a freezer safe dish with lid and freeze for a few hours.
- Thaw from frozen for 30-60 minutes or until it’s the right consistency for you.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.