This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make a small commission that will go towards supporting All Natural & Good.
How cute is this summer outdoor activity for kids? Treasure ice cubes is a sensory and science activity for toddlers, preschoolers and for keeping kids busy on summer break. I used mini dinosaurs, but you can use any little toys or mini treasures like bugs, frogs, unicorns, fish, rings, party favors and more!
Cool down this summer with this “break the ice” sensory play activity. I made dinosaur eggs that the kids could excavate. It was a hit! Some kids enjoyed throwing the ice cubes on the ground to break the ice off to retrieve their dinosaurs. Meanwhile, the toddlers loved letting the ice melt in their hands while they waited for the treasure inside.
This activity really helps preschoolers think outside the box and they come up with some unique and creative ways to get to their treasures. What a perfect activity for fine motor skills and problem solving! Not to mention, it helps kids cool down in the summertime when it’s hot.
This outdoor activity is so easy and cheap to make! All you need is a few frugal finds which you may have around your house already. The treasure ideas are endless! I have found many mini toys in the dollar section at Target and at my local dollar store.
What you need:
- Small toys or treasures – dinosaurs, animals, rings, party favors, etc. I found these colorful mini dinosaurs.
- Ice cube trays – find them at the dollar store or on Amazon.
- Bin – a big mixing bowl or plastic bin works great for putting the ice cube treasures in for the kids to play with and as a place for the ice to melt.
- Add the treasures to the ice cube trays (one per cube). I noticed that the tails and necks of the dinosaurs stuck out and that is perfectly fine. They still turned out great!
- Add water to the ice trays.
- Freeze for a few hours.
- Transport in a cooler bag with ice (if traveling to the park, for example).
- Dump the ice cubes into a bin for a fun day of outdoor sensory and science play!