This post may contain affiliate links.
I have a few staple items I always have at home in bulk – white vinegar, baking soda, borax, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil and my beloved essential oils. With these natural ingredients, I am able to make just about everything!
Baking soda is often used for baking and keeping refrigerators fresh, but did you ever think about other household uses? Check them out below:
1. Dishwasher – To remove and prevent hard water stains, add 1 tablespoon to your dishwasher load. Everything will come out nice and clear!
2. Grout – To clean grout, make a paste with 3 parts baking soda for every 1 part water.
3. Filmy Hair – Add 1/4 teaspoon to your shampoo each time you shower to prevent your hair from getting filmy.
4. Mouth Wash – Use this proportion to make homemade mouthwash – 1 cup water, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1 drop of peppermint and/or thieves essential oil.
5. Jewelry Cleaner – Make a paste of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide to clean silver and gold jewelry.
6. Brush Cleaner – To clean brushes, soak them for 1 hour in 1 quart of hot water and 2 tablespoon of baking soda then rinse.
7. Odors – From shoes to purses and suitcases, just add baking soda to it and let it sit over night. In the morning, shake it out or vacuum it up. Also check out this recipe for easy carpet deodorizer using baking soda.
8. Doormats – Clean your doormats by sprinkling baking soda on them then vacuum it up and rinse with water.
9. Baby Spit Up – When your baby spits up, sprinkle baking soda on it to get rid of the odor and soak it up before it stains.
10. Grease Stains – Rub baking soda on a grease stain ASAP to absorb the grease. You can also try lemon essential oil.
11. Produce Cleaner – Soak produce in water with 1 teaspoon of baking soda to clean and remove dirt. Also try this DIY fruit & veggie wash.
12. Remove Scuffs – Combine with water and wipe away scuffs.
13. Make Plants Shine – Spray plants with a mixture of 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/2 gallon water to brighten them up.
14. Tobacco Smell – Wash clothing/linens with 1/2 cup baking soda and a few drops of purification essential oil to get rid of tobacco odors.
15. Crayon & Ink Stains – Rub off with baking soda and water on furniture and other surfaces.
16. Pest Control – Sprinkle around problem areas to keep pests away.
17. Stainless Steel Cleaner – Make a paste of vinegar and baking soda and apply to stainless steel fixtures and appliances around the house then buff and rinse.
18. Pool pH – Add baking soda when there is too much chlorine or the pH needs balancing.
19. Battery Acid – If battery acid leaks in battery compartments, make a thick paste of baking soda and water and apply. Let it sit for 15 minutes then wipe it off.
20. Clean Crystal – Make a paste of baking soda and water, apply then rinse.
21. Brighten White Sheets – Soak them in a tub of warm water, 1 cup salt and 1 cup baking soda then rinse, then dry.
22. Frosting – Prevent it from flaking by adding a pinch of baking soda.
23. Clean Coffee Maker – Run it with 1/4 cup baking soda and 1 quart water (no coffee). Then run it with just water. Your coffee maker will be clean and your coffee will taste great!
24. Plastic Bins – Clean plastic bins and containers by washing them with hot water and baking soda.
25. Expired Baking Soda – Instead of tossing it, pour it down your sink then run hot water.
26. Fresh Car – Use the ashtray for baking soda to keep your car fresh!
27. Newspaper Stains – To remove newspaper stains, use a paste of baking soda and water.
28. Blenders & Processors – Clean the blade and parts by blending baking soda and water for 15 seconds then wash.
29. Vomit – Sprinkle on baking soda to help absorb it and mask the odor to make it easier to clean up.
30. Easy Gloves – Sprinkle baking soda inside gloves to make them easier to get off.
31. Kitchen Fires – If something catches fire in your oven, throw baking soda on it!
32. Mattresses & Pillows – Sprinkle on to freshen them up.
33. Driveway Oil Spots – Sprinkle on to absorb the oil then hose or brush off.
35. Remove Labels
37. Dry Shampoo
Also check out: