Below is a basic DIY all natural playdough recipe as well as recipes for sick day, calming, and uplifting play dough. These recipes are perfect for those rainy or sick days or when you want to calm active children but still keep them busy. Or if you just need to switch things up in your home or classroom. These recipes take only five minutes or less to make using ingredients in your kitchen! No cooking required!
To make your own play dough you will need:
- double up on the recipe for more play dough or to create many batches of different kinds
- 1 cup flour (sometimes more is needed in the end to thicken the dough)
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup hot water
- Vegan food coloring (optional)
- Essential oils (optional)
- Mix all of the ingredients together, except for the hot water.
- For colored and/or scented play dough, add the desired amount of food coloring and/or essential oils to the hot water before pouring it in the dough mixture.
- Slowly pour and stir.
- Add more flour if it is too sticky, until you reach the desired thickness. The coconut oil really keeps it held together nicely. The cream of tartar helps naturally preserve the play dough, so that it may be stored in a container or bag for months.
For sick day playdough, add a few drops of Thieves essential oil.
For calming playdough, add a few drops of Lavender essential oils.
For uplifting playdough, add a few drops of Joy essential oil.
Here are some other awesome posts like this one: