This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate disclaimer policy.
I love these DIY citronella floating candle bowls for the outdoors! They remind me of my homemade potpourri recipe except with a floating candle. These are perfect for those summer bbqs, lounging by the pool or for a quiet candle-lit dinner on the patio.
For some reason, bugs do not really like citronella and it is a common ingredient in natural bud sprays. What is also great is that citronella smells really good! Almost like a lemongrass citrus scent. I always light this candle when we are outside especially if it’s in the evening when the bugs really start to come out and bother us.
There are also so many scent and herb combinations for these candles to use both indoors and outdoors. They are decorative and useful so it’s a win win!
DIY Citronella Floating Candle Bowl for the Outdoors
What you need:
- A glass bowl
- Various herbs/fruit/flowers of your choice – I used fresh rosemary and rose petals from my garden, cinnamon sticks, and citrus peels
- 20 drops citronella essential oil
- 10 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 1 tablespoon witch hazel
- Unscented non-toxic floating candles
- Cut herbs/fruit/flowers into 2 inch pieces. Cinnamon sticks should be fine whole. Add the the bowl.
- Combine the witch hazel and essential oils and add to the bowl.
- Top off with water and a floating candle and enjoy 🙂
Learn how to replace your toxic candles with natural alternatives here.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.