Ginger beer is a carbonated, slightly alcoholic ginger soda. It is very delicious, and has a bit more bite than the typical ginger ale soda like Canada Dry or Schweppes that we are all used to. It is a very refreshing cocktail especially in the summertime when the living’s easy, like on a lazy, hot Sunday afternoon out on the porch. Here is how to brew ginger beer at home.
Ginger beer also serves as a delicious mixer using Whiskey, Vodka or Rum. In fact, many mixed drink recipes call for a ginger ale or ginger beer, like the good ole Moscow Mule.
To make ginger beer you will need the following ingredients:
- 50g / about a ¼ cup of ginger beer plant (yeast used to ferment the beverage) – http://gingerbeerplant.net – selling the one and the only authentic ginger beer plant on Earth
- 1 cup of Organic Cane Sugar – this is just a guide, use your judgement and adjust as you progress
- 2 liters or 4 pints of water
- juice of a lemon – Organic Lemon Juice Preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar if you have but it’s not vital
- 5-12 cm / 2-5 inches of Organic Ginger Root or to taste
How to Brew Ginger Beer:
- Boil the ingredients together for about an hour (except the yeast), then let the liquid cool to room temperature.
- Place the cooled liquid in a carboy with a fermentation lock to let the gases out, but keep the impurities from endangering the flavor of the brew (turning it to vinegar).
- Put the yeast into the liquid and let it ferment for about five days unless you want it stronger and less sweet or ferment for a shorter time if you want it more like sweet soda without as much alcohol. A good guide to when it is okay to bottle is when it is just a little bit sweeter than you would like the brew to taste.
- Strain yeast and save it for another brew, bottle and let the bottles sit at room temperature (65-70 degrees) for about five days (periodically releasing any gas build-up to prevent explosions) and then refrigerate until drinking.
A Quick List of Helpful Brewing Equipment
These items will help make the ginger beer brewing process much easier. Our ginger beer comes out perfect every time! Here are my must haves for ginger beer brewing:
- 1 gal Glass Wine Fermenter, INCLUDES Rubber Stopper and Twin Bubble Airlock
- Swing Top Grolsch Glass Bottles 16oz – CLEAR – For Brewing (6 Set)
Make Your Own Moscow Mule
You can make your own delicious Moscow Mule using your freshly brewed homemade ginger beer. Moscow Mules are perfect for entertaining especially if draining ginger beer on its own seems a bit boring.
All you need is:
- 1 1/2 ounces vodka
- ginger beer
- wedge of lime
Serve in copper Moscow Mule mugs to be completely legit!
If making your own liquors at home interests you, be sure to check out our infamous homemade Fireball cinnamon whiskey recipe or our homemade authentic Limoncello recipe.
Interested in Learning about the Rich History of Ginger Beer?