This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate disclaimer policy.
I love homemade pizzas and it isn’t quite the same without homemade pizza dough to go with it. This recipe is compatible with OONI (previously UUNI) pizza ovens, as well as for making any kind of homemade pizzas at home. This OONI pizza oven dough recipe is so good and fun to make!
For wood-fired pizza, especially with the Uuni 3 Portable Wood Pizza Oven, you are going to need a special pizza dough recipe. You wouldn’t want to use just any pizza dough recipe since this is going to have to go into a high heat oven. The trick to wood-fired pizza is to use an authentic Italian wheat flour called 00 flour.
This pizza dough is elastic, soft and makes incredible homemade OONI pizzas in the pizza oven!
Please note: I am not a chef, I am not a professional pizza maker and I do not own a pizza restaurant. What I do love is making pizza and I feel like the OONI pizza ovens make it easy for our family to do that.
I love the pizzas that come out of my OONI pizza ovens. I use the OONI accessories as recommended by OONI.
OONI Pizza Oven Dough Recipe:
- Makes about seven to eight personal sized pizzas
- 4 cups 00 flour: Antimo Caputo Pizzeria Flour
- 1 1/3 cup room temperature tap water
- 1 packet Rapid Rise Yeast: Fleishmann’s RapidRise Yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
OONI Pizza Oven Dough Directions:
- Empty yeast packet into warm tap water. Place sugar in water. Gently whisk with a spoon (or your finger). Let proof for 5 minutes. You know the mixture has proofed when it starts to froth at the surface.
- In a medium sized bowl add the flour and salt. Create a fontana (a volcano-like hole in the center of the flour). Pour proofed yeast mixture into the hole of the fontana. Gently circle your finger around the rim of the fontana, mixing slightly more and more flour into the water mixture. Eventually, all the flour mix should be mixed into the center until you have a ball of dough. If it’s slightly wet add just a dusting of a little flour until it isn’t so sticky. If the ball of dough is a little dry, add a little bit of warm water to keep it just moist.
- Line a larger bowl with a bit of olive oil, and place dough ball inside. Drizzle olive oil on top of the dough ball and then cover with a damp kitchen cloth. Let it rise until the dough has doubled in size.
Making Homemade Pizza
To learn how to make authentic Neapolitan style pizzas at home using your homemade OONI pizza oven dough recipe, please read our recipe post for making homemade Neapolitan style pizzas from scratch!
Pizza Oven Tutorial
If you need help learning how to use your new OONI pizza oven, please check out our tutorial for using the UUNI 3 portable wood-fired pizza oven or the OONI Koda gas powered pizza oven.
We use the OONI Koda portable pizza oven, although we have also used the OONI Pro Pizza Oven. Both work great, but we prefer the ease and convenience of the OONI Koda. Both are portable and compact, making it easy to use in any backyard space or to transport for traveling. With either, you can cook a pizza in just about 60 seconds!
The OONI Koda Pizza Oven
The OONI Koda is gas-powered, so although it create the same style pizza, there is no hassle of lighting wood pellets. Simply turn on the switch to turn it on. See my YouTube video at the end of this post for a step by step tutorial for getting the OONI Koda powered up and how to cook your pizzas.
The OONI Pro Pizza Oven
Previously called UUNI, this wood-fired pizza oven uses wood pellets to create an authentic wood-fired pizza experience. The OONI Pro is a little larger, ideal for 16 inch pizzas. Weather can be a factor in how well the OONI Pro fires up and stays fired up. If you like more of that smoky flavor, this pizza oven is a great choice.
You will need wood cooking pellets for this pizza oven.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.