There are so many amazing health benefits of nutritional yeast, an inactive yeast made from beet molasses and sugarcane. Our pediatrician recommended nutritional yeast for our entire family, especially to help fight the common cold.
Nutritional Yeast Facts
Nutritional yeast often comes in a flakey form with a golden color. I happen to really love the taste which is sort of nutty and cheesy. It is the perfect addition to soups, stews and sauces, or sprinkled on top of avocado toast.
Nutritional yeast is nutrient and protein-rich with b vitamins, folate and zinc. Vegans love nutritional yeast as a way to add vitamin b into their diet and to thicken sauces or to imitate vegan cheese in recipes.
Keep in mind, nutritional yeast is not the same as brewer’s yeast.
The health benefits of nutritional yeast include:
- Supports the immune system
- Natural antiviral and antibacterial properties
- Supports the digestive system
- Approximately 1/4 cup of nutritional yeast contains 9 grams of protein, ideal for athletes and vegas too!
- Rich in amino acids
- Supports healthy hair, skin and nails
- Rich in folate which may benefit pregnant and nursing women and development fetus.
According to our pediatrician, babies 6 months and older can have 1/4 teaspoon per day and adults can have 1 teaspoon per day. Speak with your doctor about the correct dosage if you are unsure.
Where To Buy Nutritional Yeast
Thanks to Amazon, there are so many options like this one.
You may also like: Elderberry Syrup For Cold & Flu