This post may contain affiliate links.
Here are a few homemade liquor recipes that I enjoy making, especially during the holidays!
It really is something special to be able to make your own homemade liquors. It is a fun activity to do as a couple or as a nice homemade gift.
What you need:
- 1 bottle of whiskey (1.75L) – I used inexpensive blended Canadian whiskey
- 8-10 Organic Cinnamon Sticks
- 200 ml (approx 6.5 ounces) homemade simple syrup – boil equal parts Organic Cane Sugar and water until sugar is dissolved, let cool
- Cheese Cloth for straining
- Combine the cinnamon sticks and whiskey in a tightly closed container. I used a Half Gallon Size Ball Mason Jar and it fit perfectly!
- Let the cinnamon sticks sit in the whiskey for about 4-5 days, swishing it around daily with the jar closed.
- On the 4th day, I opened the jar and noticed the strong cinnamon scent and gave it a try. It was perfect! Let the cinnamon sticks sit in there for as long as you want and when you get the desired level of cinnamon flavor.
- Strain the mixture into another container to get the cinnamon sticks and any debris out of the whiskey.
- Lastly, combine the simple syrup if you decide to sweeten yours.
- Now it’s ready to bottle!
Create the perfect gift or always have cinnamon whiskey on tap by customizing a whiskey barrel for storing your homemade cinnamon whiskey!
What you need: (per approx. 2 liters of limoncello)
1. Peel the lemon rind from every lemon, trying not to peel away the white part.
2. Add the lemon rind pieces to a half gallon mason jar.
3. Add the grain alcohol and secure the lid tightly.
4. Let it sit for about 10-14 days, swirling the contents once daily.
5. After the 10-14 days, strain the grain alcohol to separate the lemon rind.
6. Boil the water, sugar and lemon rind.
7. Once dissolved, allow the simple syrup to cool.
8. Strain and discard the lemon rind.
9. Combine the simple syrup and the grain alcohol.
10. Strain the contents through several layers cheese cloths to remove any debris.
11. Add the limoncello to mason jars and store in the fridge.
Note: This drink is best served chilled.
To make ginger beer you will need the following ingredients:
- 50g / about a ¼ cup of ginger beer plant (yeast used to ferment the beverage) – http://gingerbeerplant.net – selling the one and the only authentic ginger beer plant on Earth
- 200 – 600 g / 1 to 3 cups of Organic Cane Sugar – this is just a guide, use your judgement and adjust as you progress
- 2 liters or 4 pints of water
- juice of a lemon – Organic Lemon Juice Preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar if you have but it’s not vital
- 5-12 cm / 2-5 inches of Organic Ginger Root or to taste
- Boil the ingredients together for about an hour (except the yeast).
- Let the liquid cool to room temperature.
- Place the cooled liquid in a carboy with a fermentation lock to let the gases out, but keep the impurities from endangering the flavor of the brew (turning it to vinegar).
- Put the yeast into the liquid and let it ferment for about five days unless you want it stronger and less sweet or ferment for a shorter time if you want it more like sweet soda without as much alcohol. * A good guide to when it is okay to bottle is when it is just a little bit sweeter than you would like the brew to taste.
- Strain yeast and save it for another brew, bottle and let the bottles sit at room temperature (65-70 degrees) for about five days (periodically releasing any gas build-up to prevent explosions) and then refrigerate until drinking.
A Quick List of Helpful Brewing Equipment:
- 1 gal Glass Wine Fermenter, INCLUDES Rubber Stopper and Twin Bubble Airlock
- Swing Top Grolsch Glass Bottles 16oz – CLEAR – For Brewing (6 Set)
Here is the recipe for making your own homemade margarita mix:
1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (I use 1/4 cup sugar instead or substitute it with honey, agave or stevia)
1 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (about 8-12 limes)
1. Heat the water on the stove top and then add the sugar. Stir it up until it is well dissolved. Set the mixture aside to cool.
2. Juice your limes. Any simple hand juicer works or you can squeeze them by hand (what a workout!).
3. Combine the sugar-water mixture with the lime juice in a pitcher or container.
The mix is good for 7-10 days in the fridge.
For a Fireball Old Fashioned cocktail you will need:
Combine the ingredients in your cocktail shaker and shake over ice then serve.
Here are some supplies for your homemade liquor recipes: