This post contains affiliate links. Click here to read my affiliate disclaimer policy.
It is finally pumpkin season which means – pumpkin everything! I’m not into the pumpkin spiced lattes as I am into recipes using real pumpkin like this homemade pumpkin soup recipe. This isn’t made with canned pumpkin, but a real pumpkin straight from the source.
You can definitely substitute for canned pumpkin if this recipe is too much work for you. I might try it with the canned pumpkin myself.
To make homemade pumpkin soup you will need:
- 1 medium sized whole pumpkin (that will fit in your oven)
- Organic coconut oil – to coat pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons organic olive oil
- 1 cup organic coconut milk
- 4 cups organic chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon organic blue agave
- 2 small shallots (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon organic cayenne pepper
- 2 drops Black Pepper Vitality oil
- 2 drops Thyme Vitality oil
- 2 drops Clove Vitality oil
- Preheat oven to 400º F then coat pumpkin in coconut oil on a baking sheet.
- On the lowest rack, roast the pumpkin for 1 hour.
- Remove and let it cool then cut in half horizontally.
- Remove the seeds. These can be used later as a garnish if desired.
- In a food processor or mixer, puree the pumpkin meat with 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Next, combine the shallots and olive oil in a large pot and sauté over medium heat.
- When the shallots become golden brown, add the pumpkin puree, the rest of the chicken broth, coconut milk, cayenne and blue agave.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Before serving, add your Vitality oils and stir.
- Pumpkin Seeds: Roast and use as a garnish.
There are so many great ways to incorporate pumpkin into your recipes like this homemade pumpkin soup. Here is a recipe for homemade pumpkin juice that is so delicious! Happy holidays and enjoy!
Here is another great soup recipe: Homemade Tomato Basil Soup
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.